Many people with varicose veins don’t like the way their legs look, as these veins are misshapen and twisted. So how can you know if you are at risk for varicose veins.
What causes varicose veins
Veins are blood vessels that transport blood from the tissues of the body to the heart. The blood flows in one direction only and the blood vessels have valves inside of them that maintain this one-way flow. However, if the valve malfunctions and blood flows backward it will pool in the legs. This condition is known as vein disease or venous insufficiency, which is the cause of varicose veins.
Areyouat risk for Varicose Veins?
There are several factors that could put you at risk for varicose veins including the following:
- Family History: If you have family members with varicose veins this certainly increases your risk of developing the disease.
- Gender: Women are at greater risk of getting varicose veins than men. This isdue to the hormonal changes that occur during puberty, pregnancy, and menopause.
- Age: Older people are at risk of developing varicose veins because aging can cause the valves in the veins to weaken.
- Obesity: If you have a lot of extra weight carrying around this can put additional pressure on the veins, resulting in the formation of varicose veins.
- Limited movement: Staying in one position for long periods, whether standing or sitting, can also put you at risk for varicose veins, because it forces the veins to work harder.
Do you think you may be at risk for developing varicose veins?Search our directory to find a practice in your area.
If you are in the Leawood, KS area, Premier Vein & Body by Schwartz is our featured practice.
You can reach them at www.premierveinandbody.com, or by calling (913) 451-8346.