When to seek medical attention with vaginal irritation

Vaginal irritation can be uncomfortable beyond belief, yet some women don’t know when to seek medical attention with vaginal irritation. While the problem is often linked to contact dermatitis, which is an allergic reaction to hygiene products, that is not always the case. There are times when the symptoms may be due to a more serious condition known as lichen sclerosus.

Lichen sclerosus is often difficult to detect, especially in the early stages, so the symptoms are often mistaken for a yeast infection. In addition to irritation, women with the condition also experience chafing, dryness, and itching. As the condition progresses other symptoms gradually manifest. The skin of the vulvar may become shiny and sticky, and it also wrinkles slightly.

When to seek medical attention

  • If the irritation persists: There are times when a woman may experience only an isolated episode of vaginal irritation, but when it continues and becomes a persistent problem, it’s always advisable to get it checked.


  • If new symptoms appear: When other symptoms occur such as stinging and burning, or if the tissues in the vaginal area become white in color, it’s definitely time to visit your gynecologist for a proper diagnosis.


  • If pain develops: Pain in the vulva should never be ignored, as it’s usually the sign of a serious problem.

Are you suffering with vaginal irritation? Contact Fowler GYN International, Paradise Valley, AZ, for help. Dr. R. Stuart Fowler and the staff of FGI are experts in vaginal care. We will carry out the necessary assessment in order to determine exactly what is causing the irritation, and then design a customized treatment plan.

Call(480) 420-4001 today for an appointment, or go to fowlergyninternational.com/contact-us, and request a free pre-registration call.

Like this article?

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest