Could I have an allergic reaction to a patch test?

Unexplained, persistent rashes may often require a patch test to pinpoint the source of the irritation. Identifying the irritant means having to  conduct testing using a variety of substances. This is a matter of concern for some patients, and so they often ask their doctor – Could I have an allergic reaction to a patch test.

What is a patch test?
A patch test is a method used to find the irritant that is responsible for skin conditions such as allergic contact dermatitis (ACD). Based on the results, the doctor will be able to determine the type of contact dermatitis present, as well as the substances that the patient is allergic to.

The test usually involves the use of common substances that are known to cause allergies. The substances are applied to strips of non-allergic tape, which are then placed on your back. The strips remain in place for 2 days, after which time the physician will remove the strips to see if you’ve had an allergic reaction. Additional tests may be applied for a further 2 days, after which a final reading will be done.

Can you have an allergic reaction to the patch test
Since the patch test involves the use of several different allergens, there is the possibility that you can have an allergic reaction to the test. This may range from a very mild irritation, to a strong reaction. In rare cases extreme reactions can occur, or the allergic response may be delayed.

Contact the Skin Care Center, Chicago, IL, for more information on patch testing. Call 773-296-3636 to schedule a consultation for the Chicago office, or you can call 847-901-0252 for the practice in Glenview, IL,or847-234-6121forthe office in Lake Forest, IL.

Like this article?

Share on facebook
Share on Facebook
Share on twitter
Share on Twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on Linkdin
Share on pinterest
Share on Pinterest